UNIT 1: EMERGENCY FIRST AID IN THE WORKPLACE (CREDIT CAN BE GIVEN IN
SOME CASES IF ALREADY COMPLETED RECENTLY)
Understand the role and responsibilities of a first aider.
- Identify the role and responsibilities of a first aider.
- Describe how to minimise the risk of infection to self and others.
- Identify the need for establishing consent to provide first aid.
- Complete an accident report form.
- Identify the first aid equipment that should be available in a workplace.
- Describe the safe use of first aid equipment.
Be able to assess an incident.
- Conduct a scene survey.
- Conduct a primary survey of a casualty.
- Give examples of when to call for help.
Be able to manage an unresponsive casualty who is breathing normally.
- Assess a casualty’s level of consciousness.
- Open a casualty’s airway and check breathing.
- Explain why it is important to place an unconscious casualty into the recovery position.
- Place an unresponsive casualty in the recovery position.
- Manage a casualty who is in seizure.
Be able to manage an unresponsive casualty who is not breathing normally.
- Recognise the need to commence Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation.
- Demonstrate Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation using a manikin.
Be able to recognise and assist a casualty who is choking.
- Describe how to identify a casualty with a partially blocked airway and completely
- blocked airway
Administer first aid to a casualty who is choking